Saturday, May 10, 2008

Names . . .

First . . . thanks for making me a part of brunch this morning.

Second . . . since then I have been trying to think of other options for a middle name for the new baby and sad to say I haven't had much luck. So I thought that maybe it would be fun to open up the forum on here and see what ideas we could all come up with . . . maybe the boys have a good idea . . .

So the first name that I think that we all liked was Jackman. It was Great Grandma Harper's maiden name and what the J. stands for as Grandpa Harper's middle initial. It is unusual for a first name, but I really liked it . . . and we can call him "Jack" which I think is awesome!

Granted this name is not official, but I am trying to make it that way . . . was that subtle? In any case it needs a middle name . . . so feel free to post any bright ideas . . .

The one that I liked so far is Clark, but let's see if there is anything else that we can come up with.

10 comments:

Mom said...

We talked a little yesterday and came up with Taylor as a possible middle name too. It's the last name of My father's mother's mother and the last name of Dad's father's mother's mother's mother! What do you think of Jackman Taylor Kesler?

Mom said...

We also talked about giving the other kids middle names that reflect our family's heritage. For instance, Michael John (or John Michael) after my dad. And Alexander Parker (after Emeline Parker, wife of Bishop Frederick Kesler), Hailey Melissa (after Melissa Greene, my great, great grandmother), Krystal Mary (after Mary Elison, Dad's grandmother) and Joshua Burton (after Dad's Burton line that goes all the way back to the Mayflower). What do you think?

Eric Rogers said...

Jackman Taylor Kesler . . . it's all last names. But it sounds good.

And for the kids, I'm thinking you should leave their first names alone and change their middle names if you want.

Mom said...

The only first name we might change is Michael's and just move it to middle name. There is one main reason for that. He is named after his father, Mike, who is the one who abused him. He hates to be called Mike, and as he grows up people will start calling him that. And he kind of likes the idea of being called John. We won't do it unless he really wants to, and we'll give him plenty of time to think about it first.

Elizabeth said...

Well I like them all, except the whole John Michael thing. I understand the reason, but I think that Michael John is better and if he decides as he gets older that he wants to go by John then fine, but I prefer John as the middle name. It is probably the whole all of your other brothers and sisters have done it so it has been kind of overdone in our extended family.

Elizabeth said...

As I think of this more . . . John Michael makes me think of Peter Pan

Ali said...

I like the idea of John Michael better and truthfully so does Michael, we just talked about it today and he wants to be John Kesler he said. It would just be a lot easier if growing up he didn't have to tell everyone "I go by John" it's a lot easier if that's just what his name really is... and yes it's over done in the family but under the circumstances I think it's the best idea.

Jenn Hansen said...

I love the Jackman Taulor idea! What a great name! I like the middle name ideas a lot too, especially the Joshua Burton one.
I think that if Michael wants to change his name that is best. John Michael is great.

Mom said...

I'm hearing comments that John Michael is a little "Peter Pan" sounding. I can understand that. And maybe it's best to eliminate the name "Michael" altogether. It's also true that there are a lot of Johns in the family. Elizabeth says she really likes the name, Clark. I do too, but I'm concerned that he and others may identify too much with "Clark Kent" rather than his dad. Needless to say we have plenty of Superman influence here already. So I'm not yet convinced that Clark is the right name either. Dad talked with Michael's counselor today about this idea and she is very supportive of it and thinks Michael will do fine. And we're thinking that when we move to the new house and the new ward that would be a good time to make the switch. So what do you all think?

Elizabeth said...

The reason that I really like the name Clark is that it can mean something to him. He was named after the father that abused him and now he can be named after a father that loves him and it is something that he could really identify with and make him feel really special and a part of the family. I just think that under the circumstances the name needs to mean something to Michael, because right now what his name means to him is not good. And I don't really mind that is has a little bit of a Clark Kent ring to it, there are worse people to identify with. Anyway, in terms of timing, I think that you are right on. He may as well introduce himself to people in the new ward and in his new school as the name that he is going to have.